19 October 2006

New found joy

I HATE to shop.

Hate it with the passion of a thousand suns. My husband? Yeah, I can lose him for hours in Macy's on a saturday afternoon. I get overloaded with too many things too look at and noise and bright lights and I just have to back away. Even Target would do me in if it wasn't for the fact that I know where everything is I need and can beeline in and right back out again. Same goes for Ikea, except that I usually require a nap after going there.

But, I have discovered that shopping for Natalie is fun. And for some reason I don't feel as guilty spending money on her, as she pretty much needs a whole new wardrobe each season, so it's not like she's not going to wear any of the stuff I've bought her. I've only bought her things (a sundress, a play outfit...) on the clearance racks at the mall or at one of the two consignment shops near by (Oilily pants for next to nothing, a bunch of baby Gap stuff with tags still on...). Consignment shop shopping feels like treasure hunting, which is why I think I've fallen quickly in love with it. The payoff feels so good - to scour the racks upon racks of clothing, only to stumble upon the perfect denim jumper that only costs $8.99 and looks like it's never even been worn. Or the Hanna Anderson tights still in their package for $2. Somehow it just makes the whole day seem worth while.

No comments: