09 November 2006

Nine months old

It's official: You've now been on the outside as long as you were on the inside. Kind of crazy when you think about it. Nine months ago you were this wee little peanut and we were in the hospital, in awe of this tiny creature that they pulled from my womb. I was also still under the lovely effects of the spinal, which made things kind of hazy and pleasant. Before the pain that was where they cut my abdomin open in order to get you out, you stubborn little thing who wouldn't move as you were so jammed into my pelvis. Lovely, eh? Deal, little Natalie, as you're just going to have to put up with hearing this story every single frickin year on your birthday. I now understand why my mom was so psychotic about calling me in college every year at 8:02am the morning of my birthday. It was really annoying at the time, as I frequently didn't have class till 9 or 10am, and had most likely been out celebrating the night before with friends and really didn't appreciate the early wake up call. But at least now I understand, and as cliche as it sounds, someday when you're a mother you'll understand too. Now smack me for sounding just like my own mom, and I promise not to do it again.

You've grown in leaps and bounds lately. You know the word for wave, and will do so on command. We're working on clapping. We also think you know that dadadadada is that guy who gets you in the morning and brings your cranky self to mommy for nursing, and who then comes home in the evenings, where you turn yourself inside out in excitement at seeing him. Only he can get the true belly laughs out of you by simply making a goofy noise or just looking at you in the right way. We haven't seen you crawl on hands and knees yet, but you are never in the same place for more than a second and you always surprise us at the speed you are able to lung, roll, and twist your way across the room, inveriably to the one unsturdy piece of furniture (laundry baskets, rocking chairs) on which you pull yourself up on. So much pride in your little face as you smile at us. You certainly think you're hot stuff when you pull yourself up in your crib and then hollar at 3am because you haven't figured out yet how to get down. We set up obstacle courses in the living room for you to cruise around, which amuses you for ages. You seem like you recognize the other babies in your playgroup, which is tons of fun. It's like baby smackdown when the five of you get together and climb all over each other. Pure entertainment.

I'm still dealing with my depression, but I think it's getting better. At least I hope it is, and that I can be more of the mom I want to be and not feel so overwhelmed and unfocused all the time. Doesn't help that I've probably got too much on my plate right now, but I've got to get better at getting time for myself, as those quiet moments are what recharge me to take on one more day. But nine months. Already. I'm just shocked as usual at how fast it's gone.

No comments: