03 July 2007

Annoying, part 2

I'm relatively eco-friendly, or at least I try to be. I bring my own cotton groccery bags, I open windows instead of running the AC if I can, Natalie wears cloth diapers, and I've been recycling for ages - from the"Reuse Refill Recycle" poster I had from The Body Shop hanging in my room in junior high to the fact that I just made Natalie a dress out of an old pair of favorite pants. They were so worn the ass shreaded one day and I couldn't bear to throw them out. Thought I'd just salvage all the buttons first, but an hour later, Natalie was the height of eco-friendly fashion.

One of my biggest pet peeves is wasting water. I always turn off water when I brush my teeth or am rinsing dishes. I even practice "If it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down." Drives me nuts when I hear Jim turn on the shower and then the next thing I know he's in the kitchen getting a drink while the shower just runs. And when my mother-in-law or sister-in-law are over and in the kitchen, the water just runs and runs and runs. Part of this pet peeve is because I'm cheap and water costs money. We have new neighbors next door. They're Ok, but the people that moved we're awesome, so it's not the same in many ways. One of the ways is that the new people water their lawn. Every Day. We're kind of in a bit of a drought, but not enough for the county to start inforcing water restrictions. But still, this lawn watering is starting to drive me nuts. I'm wondering when they are going to notice that we don't water our lawn and ours is greener than theirs. Go figure. If the county does start imposing water restrictions later this summer, I'm going to be really tempted to be That Neighbor who reports them if they are still doing this!

2 comments:

Mac's niece said...

Love the eco dress - that's great. I'm trying to salvage a favourite skirt by making a new waist band lower down the skirt and shortening it the process (i.e because I have become larger, and it's just too darned tight!).

Thanks for your comments on my paintings by the way - it's really heart warming to receive nice comments.

Did you find a veg box scheme near you?

Katie said...

it was really funny - that same day there some something on the news about a farm share, where you purchase a share of a farmers crop and it's delivered to you once a week during the growing season. looks like it's all sold out for this year, but i'm going to check it out and make sure i'm signed up for next year!