24 July 2007

Relief

I toss around my Christianity very casually, but at the heart of it, I'm serious about what I believe. One of those things is the power of prayer. It is a serious matter, not just words to be recited before a meal* and it kind of rubs me the wrong way that our Presbyterian chruch started printing a prayer of confession from one of the catechisms (no idea, I grew up Baptist, we didn't have such things) in the bulletin for group recitation before communion. Prayer to me is organic, from the heart; there's something raw about true prayer and the act of bringing your troubles and worries to God's feet, no matter how big or small.

Natalie was miserable yesterday. We spent much of the day hanging out on the couch, alternating between nursing and watching PBS. She took three naps, and considering it can be a fight to get her to take one, that is proof she felt yucky. Some sort of stomach bug, and she had no interest in food and I spent what little energy I had trying to get her to drink liquids. Sippy cup, box drink, with a straw, in one of mommy's cups, a popsicle, even hose water outside. I felt like I was in a constant state of prayer, asking for God's help in healing this little creature He's entrusted to me to care for. She was so sad yesterday, just wanting to lay with her head on my shoulder and her arms around me and one of her stuffed animals.

Obviously those prayers were answered in the affirmative, as she was up at 4am ready to go. After much breastfeeding, she actually asked for breakfast. And while it wasn't much and it went straight through her system, the fact that she was wanting food is huge. And she wanted to play, something she hardly did at all yesterday. I did get her back to bed at 6am, but we had to get up at 8 to take Jim to work as my car is still in the garage (and Jim is too much of a wimp to walk the five blocks to the bus stop). When we got home, she asked for more oatmeal, and I managed to get her back down around 9 for a nap. And that is where I'm going too. I'm so much more at peace today, knowing that my prayers of yesterday were heard and answered, which is always a nice thing, you know?

*my favorite being "Rub-a-dub-dub, thanks for the grub, yeah God!"

No comments: