14 November 2007

Day 14

Dad. He's one of the smartest, wisest, most solid men I know. He's always been there for us, he's always been such an excellent example of a true head of household. In later years I've come to be able to talk to him more without the emotional whoo-haa of talking to mom. That being said, he's still a dad.

He was only 24 when I was born, which came to explain SO MUCH when I was suddenly that age with guy friends also in their mid-20s. Duh, no longer makes me wonder what the heck he was thinking when I recall the fact that he wanted to name me Duncan if I was a boy - so that if I was either a swimmer or a basketball player, he could call me "Dunk" for short. Thank God mom talked him into Brian if I was a boy. And thank God he talked her into calling me Kathryn if I was a girl instead of Renata like my mom wanted (only Renata I've ever known was the bug eyed librarian at our college library).

Dad's dorm picture from the University of Michigan circa early 1970s shows a bunch of really hairy guys, half with cigarettes in their hands, the other half with drinks, and then this tall, skinny guy in the back with a crew cut and a mustache. Guess which one was my dad? He likes to brag about how the guys once spiked his orange juice but he caught on and didn't drink it. I try not to crack up in his face, because looking at that dorm picture? Dad was *that guy* who was just asking for his OJ to be mixed with a little vodka or for a pot brownie to be slipped to him.

We finally broke him of the tube sock habit a few years back and we're working on the comb over. He's also gotten somewhat better in the kitchen. However, when I was in junior high, he quit his job to start his own consulting business out of the home (mom had just gone back to teaching after 14 years as a stay at home mom). This meant he was Mr. Mom for a bit while things got off the ground. Some of his infamous dinners he cooked for us include pizza chicken, norwegian (not swedish) meatballs, and rubber pancakes. My brother and I do not let him forget about this, even when he manages to pull off something good in the kitchen.

It's been fun watching him turn into a grandpa with Natalie. He's a total mush and spoils her like we were never spoiled as kids. And she loves her grandpa so much, I think because he's very silly and gives lots of zerberts on her belly and such. Anyway, I love dad, nerdiness and all. How he ended up with mom, I'm not quite sure. I think she's the first girl he ever dated.

2 comments:

Mac's niece said...

Hi! Well done on the daily posts this month, and what a brilliant choice: details of your family. It has been so interesting to "get to know" your family through your writing. Your style is so engaging, and warm and honest. It's a great read! Have you heard about project 365? You write a small but fixed amount about 365 significant people in your life. I'm starting it... it's a good way to revisit lots of parts of your life and think about the people in them (good and bad!).

Thanks for your encourgaing comment on my blog. I hope I have broken the most recent attack of blogger block!

I have finished your scarf... and am collecting a few small things to send to you in a package... you'll have to email me your postal address, and hopefully you will receive a nice surprise around the end of the month!

Katie said...

thanks! you have to send me your post address as well. i finished your scarf last week. i'm worried that your knitting skills far surpass my crochting ones!!

project 365 sounds tought - i'm not sure i know that many people!