17 June 2008

Sewing, sewing

I have an addiction to Old Navy schlumpy roll-up cargo pants/capris. Two summers ago I had a pair, but alas, they are only meant to last one summer. Sometime last June, my wicked thunder thighs rubbed together enough to cause the crotch to just disintigrate one day. Seemed a shame to just toss them, but you can't really give a pair of pants with no crotch to goodwill. So I thought I'd harvest all the buttons and then put them in the rag bag. Instead, I ended up making a dress for Natalie and going out to buy two more pairs of that summer's version.

Fast forward to the other weekend when I was in California - I come back from Santa Monica and while stripping down for a nice, long, uninterrupted shower in my hotel room BY MYSELF, I discovered, lo-and-behold, same thing had happened in the brown pair I had been walking around in all morning. The first day back home, I put on my other khaki pair, and the same thing happens AGAIN. The timing was a little too coincidental. So I made another dress for Natalie. Last years had a drawstring waist which made nice little shoulder ties; this years had decorative buckles on the back of the waist which became shoulder fasteners. It's very fun to re-use like this, and the pants make great play dresses she can get dirty as sin since they were just going to be rags anyway. Throw in some polkadot ribbon and she's the hight of fahsion as usual. She's such a hambone, dontcha think?

2 comments:

Nichole said...

That's such a cute dress! I wish I had the ability to "repurpose" old stuff.

Mama's Losin' It said...

Such cute dresses!!!