12 June 2008

The Swing of Things

Heat wave is over, but it's still summer and I'm already ready for fall. 80 degrees with a breeze is way better than hot and humid 100 degrees, though. Still, upper 60s with nights down in the 40s? That's what I'm talking about. Seriously had thoughts over the weekend of moving north. Summer in Canada, winter in DC. That'd be kind of nice.

We had a super busy weekend, Jim helped a friend who is an arborist cut down some seriously dead branches on a tree in our back yard (40 feet up, took them 6+ hours to do it all), two bbq's, and we babysat a friend's 5 1/2 year old for a sleep over saturday night. She and her mom were in town from the midwest for our friend Lisa's birthday (Lisa, who's husband passed away 4 years ago this same weekend). Saturday was their girls night out so Meg stayed with us, and it's crazy, but Natalie picked up so many things from her. Like how to really brush your teeth (forget me brushing in front of her for ages, all of a sudden she sees a 'big girl' brush and now she's a pro). And what a princess is. Thanks, Meg.

Clingy is an understatement to describe Natalie these days. She's like a cat who doesn't just want to sit next to you and purr, she wants to be on top of your head. And by "your" I mean "my." Jim can sprawl on the couch untouched while I'm in the kitchen trying to clean up from dinner and there's a monkey trying to climb up my legs. I sit down to pay bills and she's up on the chair behind me hanging off my neck. Yesterday in the midst of cuddling and reading stories in my bed, she up and head butted me while trying to climb over me and now I've got a hint of a black eye thanks to my glasses frame jabbing into my cheekbone and eyebrow. Feels like my eye is ever so slightly pinched. I've taken to putting PBS on more often than I'd care to admit because it at least gets her off what she considers her own personal jungle gym. And with the heat lately? My typically overheated hormonal self is even more uncomfortable than normal, so add a sticky toddler on top and it's just no fun, no matter how cute she is. "Look, mamma, Natalie wear teeny little bitty shorts!" "Natalie not princess, Natalie girl." "How you doing, Katie? What you doing today?"

I've got shitloads of work to do...a 10 page white paper to write, 3 1200-word articles by the end of the month, software to upload (finally got my hands on adobe creative suite - 3 weeks ago - and haven't had the time to sit down to install it). Not to mention the sewing projects laying around. I do have another potential summer babysitter to call, and if I can get her to come on a scheduled once a week thing, we'd be golden.

To top it all off, I had a humdinger of a therapy appointment yesterday. I'm so screwed up. It was good for what we concluded and are going to do, but bad because I have to be proactive, talk to Jim, etc. and I'm not looking forward to that part. He's a hard guy to nail down - he's always got other things to do and I hate confrontation. Mmm...fun times.

2 comments:

Mama's Losin' It said...

Oh man, I hope the "talk" goes well.

And I can totally relate to having those clingy kids...sigh. They'll grow out of it.

Katie said...

good to hear they grow out of the clingy phase - it really gets annoying at times! i'm glad she loves me so much she wants to be attached to me all the time, but she lived inside of me for 9 months - isn't that enough?!